Friday 12 October 2007

End of a busy week

Friday night, and the end of a particularly busy week. The pre-season rush seems to start earlier every year! The finishing touches are being applied to a helmet for IRL driver Alex Lloyd which features chrome and candy colours. Chrome is very popular at the moment and we're currently working on 11 seperate helmets featuring chrome in their designs.

Here's a helmet we painted for Vaughn Williams. We last painted this design on his motocross helmet in 1994 when Vaughn was a top schoolboy MX racer. He retired from racing in 1996 but recently bought a road bike, and asked us to replicate his old design onto his new helmet. A lot has happened at JLF Designs since we painted the original helmet, but I can still remember doing the first one. A lot of our work is repeat orders from customers, but Vaughn wins the award for the longest gap between helmets!


We've just sent off a Lewis Hamilton replica to Arai in Japan for their display at the Tokyo show at the end of October. Lewis was unlucky at the Chinese round but we're keeping our fingers crossed for Brazil next week. He's had an amazing year and fully deserves to be the first rookie F1 champ.

As well as all the paintwork, I'm busy getting my bike prepared for the famous Weston Beach Race next week, where I'll be one of 1,000 riders taking part in a mad 3 hour race in the Weston Dunes. The big tank has been fitted, and the dayglo vinyl stuck onto the bodywork so my mates can see me, and help when I get stuck... I've been going to Weston every year since I was 15, and it's like an end of year chance to blow off some steam with friends - although a weekend of partying followed by the race always means a hard week at work afterwards!